Friday, December 2, 2016

Birthday

This past week, I turned 14.

When I was younger, I used to see my birthday as a momentous marker in my life. I remember thinking, wow, now I’m eight! I received more presents as a kid [I asked for books most years]. Don’t get me wrong, birthdays remain important to me, because they are a reminder of time, age, responsibility and how much closer the future I envision is. Yet this year, something inside me was different. I didn’t make 2 tin boxes of rice krispie treats for my homeroom as I did last year and I didn’t purchase 60 chocolate chip cookies as I did in sixth grade. This year, I intentionally wanted my birthday to be more subtle. My friends remembered this day and they sang to me as I walked in the door to school at 8:00. I’m grateful for the reminder that there are people out there who care for me. Thank you. I’m also grateful for their reminder of the significance of the date…since I almost forgot myself!

There’s also a part of me that still wonders, I’m just a day older than I was yesterday, yet today, people [including myself] begin to put more pressure on me. Really, I’m just a day older than I was yesterday, and somehow, this short, 24 hour period brings about a whole new chapter of responsibilities.


Subtle birthday celebrations, almost too subtle I nearly forgot myself. A 24 hour difference. I’m confused, but as always, amazed by the beauty of time. I suppose this is more recognition of my Revolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment