Sunday, September 25, 2016

And this startles me: One summer

One summer is three months long. School begins in September and ends on the first week of June. Summer vacation is only 3 out of the 12 months in a year. Yet much has evolved. Much has changed. On the first day of the school this September, I noticed this evolution. Some marked greater than others. Others were more subtle and internal, while other changes were physical and external. But almost everything, everyone came back different. And this startles me.
It’s only a three month difference, but now my class is the eighth grade. In eighth grade, teachers tell the students, “You’re the eighth grade now. Be good role models to the seventh grade. You guys are the big kids now and we hold more expectation of you. You are the leaders of this campus.” In reality, it’s only been a three month difference: June to September. Yet when I return, I’m the “big kid” and “I hold more responsibility as an eighth grader.” My heart has merely been pumping for an extra three months. I am only three months older. But when I return to school, the new loadful of responsibilities that are handed to my class make our three month aging, seem much older. And this startles me.
Style evolution occurs each year. I don’t know what it will be this year, but I know last year, it was the “romper” outfits for girls. We leave the campus in June, wearing whatever the latest trends are. Over the summer, some clothing companies or fashion houses develop a new kind of outfit. This outfit spreads until it is prevalent in almost every store. Then kids by these new clothes, returning in September with new mindsets, new hearts and totally evolved fashion. It’s only been three months since I last saw them, yet the dramatic, vagarious, and sometimes abrupt fashion trends that emerge from what seems like the middle of nowhere, make three months no-see seem like long time no-see. And this startles me.


Departing Question: What startles you?



No comments:

Post a Comment