Friday, September 9, 2016

First Impressions

You can only make a first impression once. I’ve always known that. Yet today, I became more sentient of yet another fact which correlates to this “first impression” idea.
I just thought this picture and quote kind of illustrated my point well!

The eighth grade took a field trip to Boda Borg today. One of Boda Borg’s missions is to subtly portray for us the power of teamwork. How is this done? Quests. Which are close to impossible to complete without another two to three people. Players walk through a door, which is either green [mental challenge], red [mental/physical challenge], or black [very physical quest] door, with no instruction. All you see before you once the lights from the hallways dim with the closing of the door, are props, glass, ropes, chains, lights, tiles, red paint etc. Pretty much anything out of the ordinary. Your job as the quester is to solve the challenge. If you do, you level up and go into a connecting room. Quite an enjoyable, challenging way to spend the majority of the day.

Yet what really reminded me of the “first impressions” was before the bus ride to Boda Borg. One of the teachers in my grade, whose name shall not be mentioned, but we shall refer to him as Mr. X, came onto the bus. He reminded us “that we represented BB&N, we represented our motto: honor, scholarship and kindness. Therefore, we should remember these values everywhere we go today, because our actions reflect and impact those who are coming to BB&N, those who are part of this community, and those who have graduated or moved on.” Those words struck me. I had never paid much heed to that thought…our actions reflect even those who had graduated or moved on from BB&N. Mr. X’s words supplemented an already large audience of people represented, to an even larger number: those who had graduated included. When I first heard these words, I was struck. I felt almost a slight hint of importance…like my actions today impact people beyond those who I interact with daily. And yes, I understand that first impressions don’t always appear the way I will envision them, but when I can control some part of it, I aspire to make them worthy.


No comments:

Post a Comment