Friday, November 18, 2016

So Similar, Yet So Different

In the afternoon today, I took a nice walk to town center to buy some things for the house, when on the sidewalks, I passed by an old friend who I had gone to school with for six years, during my elementary years [Prekindergarten-4th]. In fifth grade, I transitioned schools, yet this friend of mine stayed at my old school. I hadn’t seen him for about 4 years, and this afternoon, he seemed so different, yet so similar. A little taller, still very skinny, still short hair. But there’s a quiet confidence in his character that I felt he once had trouble expressing. There’s a desire to engage in the conversation that he once avoided. Then I began to think about how he saw me…compared to how he saw me four years ago. And I have to say, each year I seem to grow in all directions and I’m different.

It’s been a little over a year since I published my first blog post on Revelation of the Revolution, and I’m observing how each post becomes more and more personal. I notice myself seeing the world differently after I finish reading each business/self development book and I notice myself seeing the world differently after some small inspiration in my life. I have a bigger audience on this blog than I had a year ago, and the goal of writing these posts is evolving. I think that’s part of the Revolution. The Revolution of my mentality.

I hope my mom sees the change in me as well when she does my laundry. My pants get longer over the years, and my shirts magically grow each year as she folds them into neat piles in my dresser. She longer needs to pack my lunch in the morning and when she looks in my bathroom drawer, there’s always acne cream. This is also a Revolution, my physical Revolution.

My style Revolution is one that is hard to pinpoint. I bet the friend who I saw this afternoon, still noticed my ponytail-over-hair-down preference, my sneaker-over-boots preference, my silver-over-gold preference. Yet, I know my style has evolved. I no longer wear cute little sweaters. I no longer put colorful clips in my hair. This is also a Revolution which I am proud to display.

Revelation of the Revolution. I guess this is how far I’ve come. How much I’ve grown. I perceive how different I am…more mature, ideas more developed, feelings more mindful, manners more refined. Yet I still haven’t left certain parts of me behind…my ponytail, my sneakers, my love for bracelets. I’m so similar, yet so different.


 

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! You have grown so much since last year, and I look up to you so much more each day! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kimia! I evidently see your growth as well…your Revolution! Thanks for reading!
      Ava Long

      Delete