Sunday, November 13, 2016

What Makes Me Happy

In February, I wrote about things that make me happy. Now, I feel I must follow up on that note, as in this little-over-a-half-year’s time, I have encountered more things that bring me joy. Over these past few months, I’ve traveled, I’ve explored, I’ve attempted, I’ve accepted and as a result, I’ve discovered other things that make me smile, which I will gratefully add on to my original list.

My owl figure. My parents bought me this owl in the Canadian Rockies this past summer. Really, I don’t know why they sell so many of these figures in Alberta, considering the artist who crafts these figures is actually based in Montevideo, the capital of Uruguay. It is the intricate details, the warmth of the colors and the curiosity of the owl’s eyes that draw me into these figure.
My little owl

Thoughtfulls Pop-Open Cards. When I need inspiration, when I covet hope, when I desire advice, when I need to be reminded to have a positive outlook in life, I open a Thoughtfulls Cheer Pop-Open Card. Sure it’s small, but it’s colorful, it’s bright, and behind each closed cover, there lies a little light; a quote. Yet before I pop open the little door to the card, I stop and think about why I’m opening it. This I consider my mindful moment. I ask myself, What are you feeling? What is bothering or cheering you up today? Are you being aware of your emotions? Then, I scribble a little note on the back of the card which includes the date, my emotions and what’s currently going on in my life. I go forth, open the card and finally, read the quote.
CHEERS Box
Mindful Moment here
One of my favorites that I've opened.


Face changing statue. My mother visited China in September, and my aunt told my mother to give this statue to me. I find it quite interesting. In some Chinese performances, the singers/dancers would wave a fan in front of their faces and change their masks. This particular model has four different masks, and I like to think of them as various moods. One of them represents stress, another anger, the green one happiness and the fourth serenity and peace. Everyday, I will walk over to the bookshelf where this little guy sits, and I will press the little knob at the top of its head to express an oversimplified version of my emotions that day.
My stress "face"

My happy "face"

Changing faces


A neat room. For me, neatness is not new. It has been a part of me since I was young. I remember when I was six years old, I would go around the house, organizing all of the papers, books and mail on the tables and scrub the kitchen counter and bathroom sink faucets until they barely show a single stain. I find happiness in neat and clean rooms because I like the feeling of everything having a “home.” And when everything has–and is in–its home, I hope that few disarrayed items become a hinderance to the flow of my life.


Departing Question: What makes you happy?


1 comment:

  1. I love this blog! Yesterday, I read the happiness blog that you wrote in February. I thought about the things that made me happy, and I'm so excited that you wrote another blog! These blogs are all so inspiring. I can't wait to read more of your work.
    -Kimia

    ReplyDelete