Friday, November 11, 2016

Before the Sunrise

Before the sunrise and my alarm clock, I am out of bed. It’s early, in the dawn of morning, and the heat in the house has merely turned on. It is dark as I slip out of bed,
Sunrise at Lake Louise
searching the ground for my slippers. Then I walk down the stairs to the first floor of the house as quietly as possible, attempting to avoid the creaks that sing in the floorboards. I start enjoying my breakfast, and read while I’m at it.
People often ask me why I wake up at 6 o’clock every morning [weekends included]. And I often think about how my day would be different if I slept in because I do put an honest effort into getting more sleep. However, I find that as soon as my consciousness kicks in at 6 in the morning, I can no longer return to my pillow.

So I’m downstairs on the first floor of my house, studying, reading Science of Us articles, eating and relaxing. I suppose it’s not a bad thing that I wake up early, before my alarm clock. I find that being alone and giving myself that extra hour to pull myself together in the morning helps me remain calmer throughout my day. It’s almost like I’m given more time in a day…I’m not rushing to finish breakfast or putting stress on myself to brush my teeth faster. And the thing is, I don’t feel tired throughout the day. I feel almost more energized, like my body has been given the time it needs to “warm up.”. Before the sunrise, I am awake and running, reading and studying, prepping myself for the day ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment