Sunday, October 23, 2016

Introvertive

I am known as a typically cheerful girl, though when school and stress find their ways into my mind, I am susceptible to becoming irascible. My optimism is most evidently seen through my smile, yet other times, I find my happiness radiating through simply sitting by myself. During these times, I am remain quiet, even if the vicinity is bustling with surfeit energy.
Last week, X-Country was having a meet out in Milton. Our team was riding the bus out of the city. Of course, we encountered some traffic and an estimated our commute was an estimated 45 minutes. If there’s only one thing I’ve learned from riding a schoolbus everyday, it would be that kids at this age love to be social on the bus.
So maybe you’ve guessed by the title of this post, but maybe you have also guessed by the words of my first paragraph; I am an introvert, and I do not find bliss in social situations. Perhaps that isn’t the right way to put it, but I find that I enjoy listening to small-talk conversations on the bus rather than contribute. On the way to Milton, some kids were playing some games like Truth or Dare, MSK etc. and I found myself sitting in the last row of the bus, staring out the window. Just out the window…at the leaves that were beginning to tint red hues and observing the different angle the sun hits buildings in the fall. I was so mesmerized by the scene that stood, changed and blurred with the jolts, stops and movement of the bus until one kid turned around in his seat, looked at me and said, “Guys, you left an eighth grader out of your game.” Though I did appreciate his shoutout to my peers who were busily engaged in Truth or Dare, I didn’t want to participate in that game. I have always felt it would reveal too much about me, and I knew it would frequently turn out to my embarrassment.
I feel I need to be more social as I get older. I’m still working on this, overcoming the introvertive sides of me. I do not believe that I do not have the power to engage in small-talk conversations instead of staring out a window…I think I just need to see that I do.

Ways I’m Going To Attempt To Be More Social

  • If not participating in a conversation, at least be visibly present
  • Step out of your comfort zones to talk with people
  • Start conversations, yet let others do a large portion of the talking
  • During study blocks, schedule to meet with friends somewhere
  • Go with the flow of the conversation



No comments:

Post a Comment