Friday, November 4, 2016

Halloween, Autumn and My Observations

Halloween was this past Monday and it already feels like it’s been awhile since as I drown in my homework. I’ve never been the biggest fan of trick-or-treating and for me, it feels like I should be giving out the candy. Mostly, I find myself tagging along with my friends so I can give myself another opportunity to engage in social activities with my peers outside of school.
Halloween is an interesting holiday for me because it marks the commencement of autumn. It symbolizes red leaves, falling leaves, and letting go. When I go trick-or-treating each year, my favorite thing to observe are the pumpkins. Not just the size, shape and color of each pumpkin, but its decoration and its carvings. Some pumpkins are decorated with sparkles, googly eyes and feathers, blinking with the luminous lights of candles. Others have spider and witch carvings. Some are traditional. Others eccentric. But all beautiful in their own ways.  
In a way, each pumpkin is like another opportunity. Each one is slightly different than the last. It is like opportunities are knocking on my door on Halloween night. What a sight.

In addition, I want to mention my observation of time after Halloween; the year always ends rapidly. Thanksgiving goes by and before you know it Christmas, followed directly by the New Year. Autumn and then winter. I notice what it brings. I will try to welcome it and cherish it. This is life. Just going by.

Photo I took on my walk home from school. The red of the trees is what makes me so in love with autumn.

1 comment:

  1. I never really appreciated autumn. It has always been my least favorite season because it's cold, and there's no snow. Whenever someone says autumn is their favorite season, I immediately ask them why. The most detailed response I've gotten was "because the trees are pretty." After reading this, however, I realized that there is so much to look forward to in autumn. I am now appreciating each tree's uniqueness, just like you appreciated each pumpkin's uniqueness.

    ReplyDelete