Sunday, December 18, 2016

Rain or Snow?

Yesterday, Boston was hit by snow, which I would say piled up around 2-3 inches. Today, I was awoken by the pounding of heavy raindrops on the roof of my house.  
Taken on a hike in New Hampshire

It snowed heavily in the morning yesterday, which was the catalyst for the abrupt cancellation of my piano lesson. I’ve never particularly enjoyed the cold, and I remember preferring rain over snow when I was younger. But know, I’m questioning my initial opinion.

I was making holiday cards yesterday. I made 12 to be precise, but there were only 10 postage stamps at home. I wanted to mail all the holiday cards before most of my friends departed from Boston for travel, so I walked a mile to the Post Office to purchase more stamps.

Somehow, the town did not shovel the sidewalks, so my walking was impeded by the depth of the snow. Yet when I walked, I felt this strange lightness, yet simultaneously plodding sensation in my legs. The feeling reminded me of first grade, when a couple of my friends and I used to pretend to live in the arctic and be hunters. I was one the hunter’s dogs, and I remember crawling on my hands and knees around the snow. My snow pants, though they were “waterproof”, became so worn from abrasion of the rough ice, that the jeans I wore underneath were often soaked from crawling on my knees. I remember lugging sledfulls of snow around, as this was the “food” my hunter had killed, back to camp. It was then, dragging the sled around, that I experienced the sinking sensation into the snow. It was the same feeling I felt yesterday, trying to walk across non–firm snow. A sinking, plodding, yet simultaneously light and springy feeling in my legs.

I suppose snow isn’t as bad as I’d once perceived it to be. It’s beautiful when it covers the trees and it reflects the street lights at night, making my whole neighborhood glow a hazy yellow color.

What do you prefer? Rain or snow?

No comments:

Post a Comment