Tuesday, December 26, 2017

2017 Wrap Up

I said that every year only passes by faster.  I can’t help but wonder does time actually move faster for everyone?  Or is there a correlation with age?  Do 12th graders feel it passing just as quickly as I do, or are they feeling it even faster?  Time is a slippery concept.  Regardless, a lot happened this year.  

In January, I started out the year thinking about me and my personality.  I like my post about my temper.  That was a big revelation for me and upon looking back today, I find my fiery, but delicate temper still stands true.  I am seldom angry, but when I am, the delicate side of me breaks down and it all comes out at once.  

February, I discovered my two selves upon reading The Inner Game of Tennis.  I recently posted about my two selves again later this year, as the overt image I preserve is quite different from my bubbly, hyper inner spirit.  I also wrote about the power of letting go; there’s only so much I can do with my time, I must remember to prioritize.  Andover is a great place where prioritization is challenged on a daily basis, from simple decisions like should I attend this club meeting even though I’ve got a test tomorrow to when I am going to give myself a break.  I also read one of my favorite books of all time, The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah.

In March, I went to Australia for spring break!  I also attended the Girls Math Collaborative and experienced the true power of synergy.

My favorite post of April was about why I suddenly chose to engage in social media, after years of evasion.  I was inspired by Thank You for Being Late by Thomas Friedman’s latest book, depicting the value in media in the 21st century.  I also wrote about big sparks, when I handed a gift over to the janitor’s at my school.  On that particular post, I wrote a Gail Godwin quote.  Looking back today, that quote still sticks with me. 

May was a busy time in eighth grade.  I was in a theatre performance called OMG in Dramafest.  It was a lovely experience though I probably wouldn’t sign up for it again.  Although I had been accepted to Andover earlier in the year, it wasn’t until May that my thoughts began to approach reality.  I was beginning to fear living alone, and actually being able to attend this school I’ve only dreamed of attending in my sleep.  

In June, I was given a small book called Rules of the Red Rubber Ball by one of my teachers.  It was a true little gift and a joy to read.  It was also the month where the perfection and inauthenticity of social media came to me.  I felt that people always look better on social media than they do in person.  I wrote a post called “We May Look Perfect in Social Media.

In July, my family traveled to Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park.  It was a beautiful trip, and I saw so many different geological features.  I also wrote a tennis reflection, and an important lesson I’ve learned through the sport.  

My family went to New York City at the end of August before school.  Unfortunately I didn’t post about it.  My favorite post from August was another tennis post.  At camp, I met two very wonderful coaches named Bryce and Alex, who taught us not only the technical side of tennis but also the mental side.   These lessons have carried on with me beyond the court.  

September was my first month at Andover.  All my posts in September were about becoming accustomed to my new lifestyle.  I love, love, love the freedom of this school.  

In October, I was in Grasshopper, one of the biggest productions of the school year.  I gave a speech!  I also began to realize the importance–and the fun–in learning languages.  

November was a rickety month for me emotionally.  I had found out some kids were bad mouthing me in school, and after a talk with my advisor, I found ways to counter that and stand up for myself.  I wrote a well-received post called “How I’m Staying True to Myself”.  I also particularly enjoyed my following post inspired by the movie Flipped.  Everyone’s dipped in something different and that partially contributes to who we are. 

My birthday was in December.  Earlier this month, I wrote a post about life and how it never seems to get easier.  Contrary to belief, many people think the teens, 20s and 30s are particularly hard and life relieves itself when your 80.  I think health and wellness and retirement become vital things to worry about.  I suppose I may never live to be as carefree as I was before I started school.  

Well, that’s a wrap up of 2017!  Onto 2018.  



No comments:

Post a Comment