Sunday, December 3, 2017

To whom does my Self 2 show?

In February I wrote about my two selves: Self 1 and Self 2.  

My Self 1 is the person who everyone sees on the outside.  Upon revisiting my post about this topic from earlier this year, I realize that my Self 1 has also changed.  I am no longer perceived the way I was perceived in Middle School.  I suppose my Self 1 has become more reserved over the year.  I’ve been told I’m often perceived as stern, a little intimidating, always studying, and consistently “well-put together” when it comes to physical presentation.   

Self 2 is the person who’s behind Self 1.  It’s the side of me that loves to have fun, crack jokes that end up being funny because they’re bad, and party.  It’s the side of me that relaxes and is free from the social pressures that Self 1 feels.  The real dilemma for me is to whom do I reveal my Self 2.

I kept thinking this week why I don’t reveal my Self 2 to everyone and I suppose it’s because Self 1 is the professional side of me, the reliable side, the side that delivers results. Self 2 is slow to reveal because it lives under the leadership of Self 1. I suppose one my fears is appearing like someone who isn’t a result deliverer; someone who doesn’t get tasks done.  Then I thought last night, to whom do I show my Self 2?  So I thought about who knows my outgoing side?  Who knows my fun-loving, party-enjoying side?  Those are the people who have seen Self 2. You’ll definitely know it if you’ve seen both sides.  I’m serious and thoughtful in most circumstances, but in those rare moments, those who have seen me scream with laughter, those who have seen me rock to a rhythm, those who have seen me act carefree and almost too chill, are the people whom I know I trust.  


No comments:

Post a Comment