Saturday, December 9, 2017

Feelings about weather

 Snow is finally here.  It was interesting how in math class last week, my teacher asked everyone in class to predict when it would first snow.  I predicted January 17.  Oh how wrong I was.  The weather means everything to me.  I might score 100% on a test, but if the weather outside is gloomy, gray and cold, that 100 will feel lesser than 100 on a bright and sunny day.  


Upon rumination, I suppose my least favorite days are the biting, windy, and chilly ones, that have neither rain nor snow.  The wind on these days bites my legs as I walk from the library to the music hall for practice.  On these days, no matter how much I wear, the wind seems to penetrate without a problem through all my layers.  I can also hear the wind when I’m indoors.  It is banging against the windows and there’s a forceful whistling.

I find it warmer on rainy days.  Even though my outdoor activity is limited, when I do find the need to walk outside, I find it is warmer.  My fingers aren’t frostbitten by the cold; I just find myself soaking wet when I get indoors.  However, listening to the sound of raindrops plummeting onto the windowpanes is exceptionally calming.  Of all forms of weather, I believe rain is the most pleasant to the ear.

Sunny weather is of course my favorite, but it is on these days when the temperature makes all the difference between a pleasant sunny day or otherwise.  I am most happy when the temperature clocks in between 60 and 70 degrees.  I can walk out in short sleeves comfortably, be active outdoors while not being drowned in sweat.  When it’s sunny outside, the rays of the sun find its way through the windows of the room and naturally brighten up the room in a way that is neither too white-lighted or too yellow; the color of the sunlight coming in through the windows is bright but not overly extreme which no lightbulb is even close to matching.  It’s perfection.

Snowy weather is one of my favorite weathers.  At Andover, the snow makes campus particularly beautiful, more so than when I was at home.  The way the snow falls onto Sam Phil and the steps of all the academic buildings, the way the snow falls on campus is absolutely stunning.  What I also love most about snowy nights is that when it is usually supposed to be pitch black, the light from the street lamps reflects off the snow and the entire outdoors feels warmer and brighter.  I feel as if the sun never completely sets on days where there is snow outside.  There’s always a faint, glowing light outdoors whenever I look outside my window on a snowy night.  It’s one of the most beautiful, and quintessential aspects of New England.  At least I didn’t have to wait until January 17.  

Some pictures the following morning:



Probably my favorite photo I took this morning!



2 comments:

  1. I'd love to see pictures of Andover in the snow! Will you post some?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Abigail!! I actually wanted to wait until this morning to get some photos.

      Delete