Monday, November 13, 2017

What are you dipped in?


In sixth grade, I read a touching teenage romance book called Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen (who is one of my favorite kids book novelists!).  After reading the novel, I watched the movie online.  I was touched…by both the writing and the screenplay.  This past week, I began thinking about one quote that is important enough to make both the screenplay and the novel as I was thinking about staying true to my sometimes peculiar self this past week.  


Some of us get dipped in flat, some in satin, some in gloss.  Every once in awhile, you find someone who’s iridescent.  And when you do, nothing will ever compare.”  



As I was thinking about this quote, I added more categories to what is mentioned in the movie of coatings that each individual can be dipped into. I believe our this partially shapes how we are perceived by other people as it closely correlates with our personalities and thus, should be fairly specific.  I’ve added “sparkles”, “matte” and “dichroic” as in dichroic glass.  


It’s really up to an individual to define these categories and they will be defined differently from person to person.  I like to think of the images and textures of these various coatings. Then I like to put them into context with personalities.  


I see “matte” people as mentally strong, as people who have a thick skin and rebound well from failure.  I see “gloss” people as refined, perhaps a little introverted, but there’s always something about a “gloss” that distinguishes them from every other “gloss”.  I see “satin” as people who are extrovert, a blend of diligence and fun, and people who are overtly kind. I see "sparkles" as people who are extrovert, fun loving, easy going, and laugh a lot; they're often the life of the party and the spirit lifters. "Dichroic" people are introvertedly brilliant, they know more than they let on, but everyone knows there's something special about them. Of course, all these interpretations are up to individuals to make and will differ greatly from each other.


I’m positive I’ve met people of all these coatings, but I also have yet to find someone who’s iridescent.  And I can’t help but wonder, what am I dipped in?

2 comments:

  1. Hmm... do you think these help you interact with other people? By the way, I think you are gloss. What am I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they necessarily help me interact with other people, but I definitely notice them when I talk with people. I'd say you're dichoric/matte because you're more extrovertive and competitive than a pure dichoric.

      Delete