Monday, November 20, 2017

What I'm most afraid of

My first term at Andover came to an end this past Friday.  Time seems to have flown right over my head.  2.5 months felt more like one month.  And just like that, I’ve got 1 term down and two more to go.  

I’m dedicated practitioner of showering at night.  Every evening I’m in the shower, I think of about what I did that day.  The list of my daily accomplishments always seems too short.  Days pass like that, and even though there is 24 hours in between my showerings, the days that pass still build up.  That’s how one term flew by.  One term flew by and when I stop to think about my accomplishments this term, I feel like I haven’t done much.  I’ve been in Grasshopper, successfully found three clubs I feel committed to [which I’m sure will change with time], and I’ve adapted a healthy lifestyle that involves taking care of my physical and mental health.  I suppose this is enough for freshman fall.

The hard part is that this previous summer, everyday, I would think about the clubs I wanted to start.  I would think about how many friends I wanted to make and I would think about the reputation I wanted to build for myself.  This summer I also made a commitment to go to as many guest speaker series as I could manage; it’s only been two out of four thus far.  I made a list of a couple courses I’m really interested in taking and all the clubs I want to manage.

My biggest fear is that one day I will wake up in bed and realize that it’s my last month at Andover during senior year.  This list of stuff I wanted to do hasn’t been accomplished because I’ve been so caught up in studies that I haven’t found time to address them.  I find myself graduating having grown very little, having accomplished little, and having not positively impacted the community.  That’s my biggest fear, and with my first term flying away as it did, I’m finding it’s more critical than ever to act and make decisions that are both quick and effective.  


No comments:

Post a Comment