Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Words and phrases that bother me

Everyone knows of at least one thing that bothers them. For some it’s the rowdiness of the house, or the lack of peace, for others it’s speeding on the highway. What’s something that bothers you?
Certain words and phrases, when combined into one sentence, make me feel both uncomfortable and unhappy. These bother me. I think these words are relevant to those beyond the community at school and indeed apply to even those in some of the most esteemed positions in the work force. Here are some the words/phrases: don’t judge, that’s so asian, cheesy.

“Don’t judge.” I feel really uncomfortable hearing and saying “don’t judge” to someone. I think diversity and aberrant characteristics should be a celebrated aspect of life, not something where a person becomes inferior to another group because of their beliefs, ideas or perceptions. Though scientific evidence shows that we are all judging someone at some point in time, I still hold a tenacious belief that people, especially true friends, should never have to say that to each other.

“That’s so asian!” Excuse me, whoever said that, but I’m asian. Particularly at school, this phrase it used a lot. Sometimes, it makes me almost a little bit self-conscious of being asian. For example, if I score an A on a test, the excuse for some who scored lower is “Oh yeah, we’ll Ava’s asian.” This is incorrect. It is not because I am asian that I score well on tests. It is because I study diligently.
Often times I am walking in the halls by some kids who love to mock some of the asian lifestyles. They’re laughing their mouths off at those who ate dog meat. They incorrectly placed a stereotype upon all asians. I was disappointed to hear such mockery of a culture and a race. Here are more public appearances of mocking asians: (some of these are actually kind of funny, others pure racist)



This is just totally racist:(





“Cheesy.” I just don’t like to deem anything cheesy. The word itself sounds cheesy to me! But I admit that I am often one who often speaks with some sense of maturity. At this age, a
lot of my classmates will deem my thoughts “cheesy.” Personally, I believe that cheesy concepts apply to merely those who have not fully developed their perceptions and approaches to life. At some point in a lifetime, I think cheesy will disappear like vapor. Cheesy, right?



Departing question: What bothers you?



No comments:

Post a Comment