Friday, June 17, 2016

Where I've been sleeping for the past 4 days

For the past four nights, I have been sleeping on my yoga mat. For those of you wondering, I was not forced to leave my bed and I was not forced to spend the night in the stifling air of the third floor. I choose to leave my bed. I mindfully climbed up to the third floor each night, where my azure blue yoga mat lay. But I was not approaching downward dog or eight-angle pose; I was going to sleep.
For four nights, I slept with one, primitive pillow and two downy fleece blankets. The first night, it was very difficult to adjust to the ground. It exemplified sleeping on bare
Azure blue yoga mat, primitive pillow and blanket
hardwood floors although I was on both a foam mat and carpeted floor. Laying flat on the ground encouraged my back to feel the rugged sensation of a sore back after running too many miles. Over the next three days, I gradually became more accustomed to the stiffness and inflexibility of the floor, though the “floating” sensation of my bed lingered and enticed. I had to adapt to a curling–up–into–a–ball position, for the curve of my back had no mattress to rest upon. I had to overcome the compression of the steamy air in the room and I had to accustom to the lack of ample pillows. Somehow, I managed to fall asleep. Somehow I managed.
Most sane people who own beds, would accuse my behavior both obtuse and ungrateful. I welcome this opinion, however, I also would like to be given a chance to object. As a life-long resident
Getting the proper amount of sleep will lead to better success
of Massachusetts, I can correctly and conclusively claim that the
most inhabitants enjoy the pleasure of a roof over their heads and beds to sleep upon. However, this does not deem poverty, in even the most renown states, nonexistent and obsolete. According to the organization, A Bed For Every Child, 1 out of every 7 children in Massachusetts live in poverty. These children do not own beds. They may not have ample food supplies. These children’s everyday lives, performance in school, and opportunities to thrive have all been affected by the lack of a comfortable place to sleep. But think about it this way: all children are the future of our society. We need to share our care.

This post has yet to explore my reasoning behind sleeping on the floor when I owned a perfectly comfortable bed sat in my bedroom. I believe that the comforts in our life, such as a roof over our heads, ample food (enough for constant snacking), sleeping in a warm when desired or cool when preferred bedroom are privileges in our lives. I am not one who pleasures pampering myself with luxuries and it makes me feel almost more human when I put myself in line with those less fortunate than I. It is a consistent reminder of how lucky I am to live in my current reality. Food is a privilege. A roof is a privilege. Attending school is a privilege. A bed is a privilege. And sleeping on my floor reminds me of that aspect. So no, it is not an act of obtuseness or ingratitude for temporarily avoiding something I am given; it is a reminder to be forever grateful.





No comments:

Post a Comment