Sunday, November 22, 2020

The Queen's Gambit

It's quite uncharacteristic of me to watch television shows, mostly because I find that some shows drag on a little longer than I can maintain interest. But last night, I finished watching The Queen's Gambit on Netflix and I think experienced what must be considered a paradigm shift in the way I understand TV shows, directing, and storytelling now. This is a MUST WATCH!! I would 100% recommend this show to everyone. 

-- spoiler alert! -- 
The Queen's Gambit is about an orphan, named Elizabeth (Beth) Harmon, who's a chess prodigy. And while this plot may seem simple (and the ending foreseeable), I have not been able to stop thinking about this show. What amazes me most is how directors Scott Frank and Allan Scott take this traditional game of chess and turn it into a whole new world in the show. They make this movie interesting through artistic, directorial choices. Otherwise, watching 7 episodes about…well, chess might come across as boring to most audiences. Through advertent storytelling decisions, Frank and Scott drive viewers to root so badly for Beth Harmon in her tournaments. I could feel her thoughts, envision them almost in my head. I felt her emotion seep through the screen. I could feel Harmon's frustrations, her fears, and the anxiety she was trying to hide in her matches against Soviet grandmasters, all of which were successfully portrayed by the talented Anya Taylor-Joy. 

Not only was the directing thoughtful, calculated, and well-executed, but the story itself was filled with symbolism. My heart reached out to Beth when she revisited the Methuen Home to find that Mr. Shaibel had never forgotten about her all those years or when she always bought two plane tickets everywhere, one for herself and the other for her deceased foster mother Alma. Additionally, the role of the tranquilizers Beth took throughout the show was unclear at first. Initially, I jumped to the conclusion that she needed to take the pills to visualize the chessboard and her previous games. But as the directors slowly reveal Beth's past, it became clear that these pills were a coping mechanism for trauma after her mother's suicide attempt. When she flushed the remaining pills down the toilet before her final match against World Champion Borgov, it symbolizes Beth overcoming the negativity that's shrouded her entire life since the car accident that left her an orphan. 
---------

This is the kind of show everyone should watch, particularly in 2020, a year full of crisis and trauma on a global scale. "The Queen's Gambit" is a feel-good show, through the tears and moments of frustration. It draws at the heartstrings of viewers and I personally found myself rallying for Beth in a way I haven't observed with many other movie characters. 2020 has been a difficult year for everyone around the world and while watching TV shows won't resolve the ongoing crises, at least it presents a source of momentary distraction and appreciation for this incredible work of film. I absolutely loved this series.


No comments:

Post a Comment