Saturday, January 13, 2018

The Role of Age

Age seems to play an important role at school.  

It’s almost expected that freshman are a certain way, sophomores are another, juniors are different, and that seniors are very mature.  There are social expectations that I think each person is able to adopt as they age and move up in the ranks.  It’s sometimes looked down upon when someone younger tries to do something that older kids do.

There are some norms that I find very interesting.  I’ve been slowly collecting them, and keeping a mental list of the things I, as a freshman, “can” and “cannot” do.  The most prominent one I feel is where I “can” sit to eat.  Our dining hall is split into two floors, which two halls on each floor.  We conveniently named these different halls, Lower Right, Lower Left, Upper Right, and Upper Left.   Each dining hall is designated for different groups of people.  Lower Right is for 11th and 12th graders.  Lower Left is a cafeteria style; usually staff and upperclassmen sit there.  Upper Right is for 9th and 10th graders, while Upper Left is tacitly agreed upon to be the dining room where faculty and their families eat.  I particularly enjoy Lower Left, as it reminds me of a restaurant, due to the high top tables and cafe style.  

Freshman are also typically not supposed to start clubs; we’re the ones that join clubs.  Yesterday, I set up the Andover Business Club table at Club Rally in hopes of starting up ABC this term.  Even though I look nothing like a senior, some people who passed by my table assumed I was a senior because I had a table at Club Rally.  Starting and running clubs, is primarily dominated by the 11th and 12th graders.  

Freshman also study in the basement of the library.  There are no windows in the basement and the ceilings are uncomfortably low.  Meanwhile, upperclassmen study in the main floors of the library, where it is bright, there are comfortable chairs, and there are actually windows!  

Freshman are definitely separated from other grades; we’re like our own little clan.  It’s interesting though, because although we will still be the same people next year, we can upgrade to the main floors of the library, start clubs, and in two years, we’ll be able to eat in Lower Right.  


I wonder though, why age is such an important factor in determining the social dynamic in my school.  What if there are seniors who simply like eating in Upper Right?  I got some looks for being a freshman who is starting up Business Club.  What if a freshman has a really good idea for a club?  Age can hinder these things, and in a way, I wish people would look past the materialistic aspect of people’s identities and focus on the more individual aspects of each person. 


1 comment:

  1. When does Business Club meet? #HostileTakeoverSzn #IAmASeniorAndIWillTakeOverYourClubBecauseItIsNecessary #YouAreBreakingTooManyRulesBeAnObedientFreshmanThisAintTheMatrix

    ReplyDelete