Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Humility and Curiosity for 2018

I’ve been thinking about my 2018 New Year’s resolutions for some time now.  I was first asked this question in a Phillipian interview via email, and I stopped to think about what I wanted to improve on this year.  This was in the first week of December.

Someone whom I really admire is the head of school, Mr. Palfrey.  One characteristic about Mr. Palfrey is that he’s extremely modest.  He does not show off his accomplishments and in his speeches, I’ve noticed he merely refuses to speak with extremes, which makes his speeches believable and down-to-earth.  Instead, he speaks about other people’s accomplishments with the utmost admiration, which leads to my second goal for 2018. 


Curiosity.  My dad keeps emphasizing the importance of living with a continuous thirst for learning.  Though this is something that seems embedded in one’s personality, I believe curiosity can be developed.  I think there’s power of understanding more, and for me, I believe curiosity is merely about being ok with learning a little bit of everything.  My parents gave me a good example about my friend’s dad.  He works at MGH and he’s an engineer.  But he has a multitude of hobbies.  And when I say a multitude of hobbies, I mean he explores and learns about all different things, from Arduino boards to astrology to cameras to mechanical engineering to plant science to classical music.  Simply put, he learns about everything with an open mind.  He refuses to shut down a topic, or say I know I’m not going to be interested in that.  That’s curiosity. 



No comments:

Post a Comment