Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Pride and Vanity

Yesterday, when I opened my front door to go for a walk, I saw an Amazon Prime box on my doorstep. Curious, I brought it inside the house and cut the packaging tape to unveil a book. It’s quite a famous one, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
Later last night, I lay on the sofa, legs propped on the coffee table, head rested on a pillow, reading Pride and Prejudice. I ought to share one quote that really stood out near the
end of Chapter 5, “‘Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us’” (12). That’s when I began thinking, what do I take pride in doing? When has vanity overthrown the asset candor? So here, I’ve began brainstorming:

Things I take pride in doing:

  1. Going for runs
  2. Organizing community events at school
  3. Sharing ideas through this blog
  4. Being a member of Leadership Council
  5. Practicing piano
  6. Playing tennis
  7. Developing my character


Departing question: What do you take pride in doing? When do you feel vanity overthrow your values?


No comments:

Post a Comment