Saturday, November 28, 2015

Why I Play Tennis

Why do we play sports? Yeah, you injure yourself, you cut yourself, you break yourself, and you will often lose to someone else. Then why do we play? No matter the infinite numbers of external injuries we suffer, it will never eclipse the internal strength that is developed. At least that's why I play sports.
My tennis career started when I was eight years old. Back then, I never quite understood why I played the sport. My only reasoning was because I enjoyed the sport. A couple days ago, I played my first, Level 6, USTA tournament for girls age 14's. I was feeling only a little bit nerve-wreaked when I signed up. Then, the draw placed me against the NUMBER 4! seed of the whole tournament. Immediately, this was my reaction:


What was I going to do? My brain was swelling and on the verge of blowing up. The planets around it were feeling the explosive impact of the incessantly shaking brain. I couldn't find a way to fight the apprehension. I knew I was going to lose. A friend encouraged me to imagine how I wanted to play. Finding the craziest and most meticulous strategies for success, I could not succumb the distraught feeling of playing the NUMBER 4 SEED. I wanted to pretend to be sick, hide in the corner. Of course, play day came soon enough…I was forced to crack the shell.
It was terrible, as I had predicted it would turn out. I'd lost the first set 6-1. I'd been creamed, pronounced the way five-year old exaggerate the 'eamed' when their final soccer game scores are 10-8. Really? Losing by 2 goals? That's nothing. I lost by five GAMES in the first set. I looked at the clock. I'd only been playing for thirty minutes. It was a 50 minute one-way ride to the courts. Wow. I was going to be eliminated in another thirty minutes and I would end up spending forty extra minutes on the road than on the courts. Though in my head, I wasn't aghast that she had beaten me by five games the first set. I was kind of expecting it because of her higher ranking. 
Then the game turned. In retrospect, I frankly cannot say how I'd played differently. However, I do know three things: (1) I switched rackets, (2) my opponent freaked out, (3) I didn't freak out or give up. It drove me to win this next set 6-2. This win dramatically changed the way I saw the game. I had gone into this tournament thinking, oh yeah, she'll cream me. I don't stand a chance. Now I'm thinking, you know, I DO stand a chance and if I focus, remain resilient and be aggressive, then I can win. Once again, I evoked the image of how I wanted to play. I closed my eyes, fingers fidgeted with my strings, dictating that I could be the player I had envisioned myself to be.
The tie breaker went well, even though I lost by two points, 10-8. I'd remained resilient, I hadn't given up. The lesson I've learned from this experience is that internally you must believe in your skills and success. This goes beyond playing a sport. This skill can bring success into life as well. For example, if you want to attend a highly selective university and you don't believe you'll get accepted, change that confidence. Envision yourself during your interview, during the test and imagine who you want to be. You'll have a much better shot at resembling your true self during that moment. Also, be resilient. I don't know how many times I've said this, but I've learned that if you give in, you won't win anything. During my first few tennis matches, I remember feeling the desperation in seeing the score 5-1, with only five points lost until my opponent won. I would end up hitting random, wasted shots, showing my lack of strength. When I was creamed in the first set of this match, I managed to remain strong internally and win the second set. I have learned to bring myself back into life beyond sports whenever I encounter a setback. This is why I play tennis.

No comments:

Post a Comment