Sunday, September 15, 2019

Start Somewhere


I stared at the pile of physics papers on my desk that I hadn’t touched for three weeks. Equations, textbooks, my notecards, all inundating my little desk beyond sight. Three weeks ago, I thought I would be done with these papers and materials but an upcoming test last week called for review. When my parents brought me all 5 of my giant test prep books, I could remember reading through all of them but I couldn’t quite recall the details and the chapters I had struggled most with. Sitting at my textbook flooded desk last week, I was startled by all the material I had covered and anxious about having to review it all. 

“Where do I begin?” I asked my parents. 

Having taken a three-week break from all my notes and textbooks, the material and even the notion of having to study it again felt foreign. This also made me realize the difficulty of getting back into the groove of something, whether that be a sport, studying, playing an instrument, or even socializing. Getting back into the groove of something is so difficult that at times, it feels easier to avoid restarting. 

I’ve been reviewing physics for one week now. I try to get in a period of studying in the morning or in the evening when I’m done with work. The weekend has also proven to be really effective scheduling time. I remember this nuanced feeling of overwhelm and denial. A part of me wanted to avoid studying altogether and another wanted to start but didn’t know where. The feeling of foreign material dissipated after about a day or two of studying. 

I think the most important thing I’ve learned through this experience of revisiting things is to start somewhere and to take the first right step. I didn't exactly know where to start, so I reviewed my flashcards with equations. This ultimately lead me to recall topics I struggled with. In retrospect, I realize I spent quite a bit of time trying to find a way to review without actually reviewing. I tried to find a crack in the wall that I could squeeze through to get back into the swing. I realize now that there are no shortcuts. The only thing one can do is to start somewhere and take the first right step in that direction. The rest flows more smoothly afterward. Areas of struggle began to emerge in my memory and I could focus on those areas. 

Nike’s most famous slogan, “Just do it” comes into fruition. What they’re advocating is to dive in rather than muse around the perimeters of the problem in all things life. The feelings of overwhelmth is one that I can't forget and I will remember this experience for the future when I feel this way: start somewhere and take the first right step. 


No comments:

Post a Comment