Friday, April 20, 2018

The Serenity In Motion


One part of my life that I miss a lot is riding in cars, essentially being able to travel at high speeds.  I didn’t realize how calming riding in a car was when that daily hype was taken out of my life coming to boarding school.  I rediscovered this when I returned home (rode on the highway), and today, when I went to Boston for a non Sibi project.  

In middle school, I used to take the school bus home with my friends.  However, when I was on the bus, my friends perpetually commented on how I was always looking out the window and not engaging in the conversation.  I would be very talkative while we were waiting for the bus to arrive, or when we were hanging out, yet as soon as I sat down on a seat, I’d become really quiet, just staring out the window.  The scenes are fairly consistent; on a highway, it’s tree after tree, and in the suburbs, it’s house after house.  I take an odd pleasure in observing them though.  I don’t even know exactly what’s going through my head while I’m staring out the window…I just enjoy it.  I also grew up riding in cars.  My mom tells me when I was younger, if I couldn’t fall asleep at night, she and my dad would drive to lull me to sleep.  Perhaps the motion of being in a car is coming to me in that sense, and it’s connections to my childhood.

In addition, when I’m in a moving vehicle, going at high speeds, everything is a blur.  It feels like I am moving fast in life.  It feels like I’m getting somewhere.  I suppose that idea in itself also calms me down. 



No comments:

Post a Comment