Monday, April 2, 2018

A Quote from my English Reading

In English class, we're reading Behold the Dreamers, by Imbolo Mbue.  There are two sides in this story, one, a family of immigrants from Cameroon who come to the US in search for a better life, and two, a wealthy white family who seems to have no problems.  The Jonga's from Cameroon serve the Edwards in NYC.  Neni Jonga is Cindy Edward's housekeeper, and prior to working for Cindy, she had viewed Cindy as a person who has never worried about money and work.  She finds out how wrong her perception was when she learns how Cindy worked her way to where she is.  Cindy tells Neni something that I found inspiring.  Part of this quote has to do with personal integrity, and another part has to do with identity.  

"'I know who I am, and no one can ever take away the things I've achieved for myself'" ~Cindy (Behold the Dreamers)

No comments:

Post a Comment