Friday, April 27, 2018

Spring


I think I’m finally feeling signs of Spring here in New England.  It’s been a long winter and it even snowed in April.  Due to climate change, the New England weather fluctuates a lot.  I remember how in March, I thought it was going to be spring!  The snow was melting, and some days, it would reach highs of 70 degrees…only to be met by a snowstorm the following day.  I suppose this correlated with my fluctuating moods last term as well.  

Sam Phil


In the past, I wrote about how campus is different every time I come back from break.  It’s been a little while since break (a month!), but campus is finally starting to feel a little bit different.  The days are longer, for one.  The sun doesn’t set until it’s nearly study hours and I feel campus is more lively because of these longer hours of light.  When I’m walking to dinner for example, I’ll see people chilling on the lawn, or playing a game of spikeball.  The Great Lawn is dotted with students, some doing work, some hanging out, others working on their tans.  When I’m walking around campus from class to class, people are wearing shorts!  And t-shirts!  And fewer kids are buried beneath layers of down.  When I walk to our gym, I no longer see endlessly empty fields just waiting to be used; they’re now covered with athletes, playing baseball, lacrosse, tennis, and softball.  Simply seeing people outside makes me happy.  I don’t know why, but people and nature go together in my head.  There’s an evident sense of merriment in the air and the classroom vibes are lighter; there are more smiles and there are more laughs.  While a New England winter is a truly unique experience, perhaps Spring is here for the better. 



No comments:

Post a Comment