Sunday, March 18, 2018

The joy in hitting a round yellow thing over the net


This break I was able to play tennis twice.  At the club I go to, there are many kids who are at all different skill levels.  There are some advanced players and there are some novice players.  Perhaps my favorite type of player to watch is a young player who is just beginning to learn the sport.  These youngsters have one aim when they come onto the court with their coach: to hit the ball over the net.  They don’t care how they do it, how long or short the ball goes, the height of the ball, whether it’s in or out, or using any technique whatsoever.  The goal of these young players is to get the ball over the net.  It’s not until later, if they choose to focus in more on the sport that they learn the techniques and qualities of a “good” shot versus a “bad” shot.  The game evolves into something complex.  When I observe these young players, I see myself when I was eight years old holding the racquet, happy just to be able to hit a round yellow thing over the net.  It’s not so simple anymore.  Depth, spin, and position matter, as do height, footwork, and power.  It’s interesting to me to see how the game evolves.  No matter who is playing or what age they begin, the game always develops in a similar pattern and it starts with joy from hitting a round yellow thing over the net.  



No comments:

Post a Comment