Sunday, February 18, 2018

Perfectionism + Efficiency

The end of my second term at Andover is coming to a close.  Next week will be our final week of classes, followed by finals, then Spring break.  Since I’ve come to Andover, particularly during this term, I found that I was forced to change my work habits.  

In middle school, I was a perfectionist.  I’d say I was never of the extreme type of perfectionist, but I was concerned about the details enough to take at least half an hour longer on most homework assignments than most of my classmates.  For example, I’d write a paper a week before it was due, and then edit it a little everyday.  The day before I had to submit it, I would read it over and over and over repeatedly.  For math homework, I’d be very detail oriented about the neatness, and organization of my work.  While this method did pay back, I ended up being very stressed over spending a lot of time on every assignment.  

I find myself adapting the way I work.  Efficiency is key.  Logistically, I could potentially spend six hours on homework, given that each subject assigns one hour of homework. However, almost no one spends six hours a day on homework (it’s simply not possible since sports end at the earliest 5, and I have lights out at 11).  I’m still detail oriented, just in a different way.  I pay attention to different chunks of a paper that I know are not clear, or I reread certain sections of my math textbook that I know I’m not familiar with, instead of rereading everything ten times.  In math, instead of making my paper look nice, I focus more on seeing if I can solve the problem again in my head. 

So yes, while I’m still a bit of a perfectionist, I’m also becoming more efficient and I hope this will pay off as my major assignments approach their due dates.  


No comments:

Post a Comment