Monday, September 4, 2017

Summer 2017 Wrap Up

Time went by especially fast this summer.  In late July, I visited Yellowstone National Park, and yesterday, I just came home from New York City.  I suppose the two vacations being only a month apart made the summer seem to go by faster.  I wanted to do a list format summary of what happened to me this past summer, which sadly, has felt faster than any previous summer vacation.  I suppose it’s the anticipation of boarding school that’s keeping me on my toes. Anyhow, here I go with my list.


Reading
  1. 1984 by George Howell
  2. The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
  3. Crucial Conversations by Al Switzler, Joseph Grenny, and Ron McMillan
  4. Thank You For Being Late by Tom Friedman
  5. Kafka On The Shore by Haruki Murakami
  6. Snow Falling On Cedars by David Guterson
  7. Wall Street Journal
  8. Time Magazine


I began reading HBR’s Top 10: The Essentials just this past week, a project I’ve been aspiring to tackle for quite some time now after visits to the Harvard Coop.  


Weekday Life
  1. Running
  2. Walk to town and back
  3. J’ai appris le français avec le Coffee Break French et j’ai pris des notes sur GoogleDocs [translation: I learned french with Coffee Break French and I took some notes on GoogleDocs]
  4. Algebra 2
  5. Piano practice
  6. Arduino  [though I admit it was a half-hearted attempt.  I really had to push myself to do a couple projects from time to time]
  7. Movie at night


What I Watched [TV & Movies worth mentioning]
  1. Several Audrey Hepburn movies.  My favorites were Breakfast At Tiffany’s and Sabrina
  2. The Man in the High Castle
  3. The Last Tycoon
  4. Wonder Woman
  5. Ghost
  6. Me Before You
  7. Out of Africa
  8. The Good the Bad and the Ugly


What I Listened To
  1. Moon River
  2. Summer by Marshmello
  3. The Way I Are by Bebe Rexha
  4. Enya, before bed
  5. Know no Better by Major Lazer
  6. Out of Africa Theme Song
  7. Believer/Thunder by Imagine Dragons
  8. Gold Dust by Galantis


Miscellaneous Interests
  1. Boat shoes.  Never thought I’d see myself in them but they turned out to be my new go-to shoes.
  2. Visors.  In the past, I wore baseball caps while playing tennis because I used to get sunburned on the top of my head.  This year, since I’ve spent less time in the sun, I’ve regained my appreciation for visors.
  3. Bagels and cream cheese.  I’ve been loving that for breakfast recently.  Enough said.  
  4. The word “wannabe”.  My dad uses it a lot in describing my dream career.  I didn’t know what it meant until this summer.
  5. NPR's Planet Money podcasts


And there’s my wrap up of Summer 2017.  The two words I would use to describe this summer are fast and anxious.  School was my anxiety, and it starts tomorrow.  For the next few months, I’ll be posting from Andover.  I’ll be boarding and I’ll be adopting a new lifestyle.  I like to go into things having some background knowledge.  For this, I can only hope I’m prepared.
Life moves on too quickly.  

Credit: Qiegang Long




1 comment: