Friday, September 15, 2017

Overwhelmed by…resources?

I feel privileged.  I’m also grateful.  Tonight, the Addison Gallery of American Art had its fall opening ceremony, in which I attended.  My primary goal in visiting the Addison tonight was to finish up my art homework, which involved looking at the new exhibit Invisible Citings.  Perhaps this was not the smartest of ideas, as I was lost in a giant crowd of visitors who were also attending the ceremony as I was trying to finish up my art homework.  Nevertheless, visiting changed my continuously developing perception of PA.  


I feel fortunate and I am grateful to have both an art museum and an archeology museum right here on campus.  I feel obliged to use these resources I have on campus.  After taking a tour of Invisible Citings, I went to older exhibits in the Addison and explored some of the American art the museum actually owns. I was quite amazed at the varied selection of art: it felt like a mini version of the American Art Gallery of the MFA in Boston. The only difference was that this was right on campus.  After dinner, I walked over to the museum.  I didn’t have to drive.  It was convenient.  And leaving the Addison, I knew I had learned something from the Invisible Citings exhibition and even found two topics to research further.  

As a new student who has just completed her first week of official school, I’m overwhelmed by all that this school has to offer.  The resources here are beyond what I imagined, and I’m striving to take advantage of all of them during my upcoming four years.

Some artwork below on display at the Addison:

Elaine Reichek embroidery

Jeanne Silverthorne art






1 comment: