Sunday, June 25, 2017

How things come to be

It continues to surprise me how things come to be, or more, how people discover things they like.  Whether it be a random request or a thoroughly researched hobby, it’s how we discover these that amazes me.

One example I always think back to is tennis.  I don’t really know how I discovered my desire to play the sport…all I clearly remember is saying to my mom the summer when I was eight years old, “Mom, I want to play tennis”.  This request, in my memory, seemed to pop out of the blue. It was one of those summers that I didn’t want to flow with my normal rotation of camps, which had previously included MIT Day Camp, ID Tech Camp, sewing camp and acting camp.  I wanted to try something different, yet I don’t know how I came upon the conclusion of trying tennis over another sport.  


As it turns out, I’ve kept up the tennis that I began to learn that first summer when I held a racket for the first time at age eight.  At first, I playing only during the summer, slowly integrating training into the school year and now I play all year round.  For me, it feels like a lifelong sport.  I know I’ll probably be playing it for the rest of my life, though it still always makes me curious as to how I first felt the desire to play…tennis?… In retrospect it seems like a random request to burn up time that has somehow weaved itself into my everyday life.  



No comments:

Post a Comment