Sunday, April 25, 2021

Sinusoidal nature

Life is a rollercoaster. This is something I've learned since freshman year, coming to a pressure cooker environment that I've come to know as "high school." This colossal experience consists of moments of highs and equally important, low points. Yet being here over the past four years has taught me something invaluable: the humbling nature of being at a low point. It's a moment that washes me in emotions, confusion, frustration, and sincere desperation. But a low point acts as both a torrent and a respite. It's both a point of reflection and a point of inflection. 

But if life's highs and lows are sinusoidal, then aren't we bound to come across a low after a high? This is something I've also grown anxious about over the years. Whenever I experience a period of prolonged happiness, I fear the pain that's bound to come. I see it lurking around the corner, waiting for the moment to crash upon the bliss that made me too comfortable for too long. This way of thinking has caused me great anxiety over the years. I've always been cautious to declare happiness and to indulge in joy. I'm scared that a low will pounce upon that opportune moment to send me into even greater pain if I do. 

Lately, I've been trying to change the way that I look at lows. I believe this is the long-term solution to getting over my anxiety. As I wrote earlier, I've found lows to be some of the most humbling moments of my life. It's a time when things fall back into perspective and when I begin to see myself clearly in the grander scheme of things. It's a time when failures help me reset, find ways to adapt, and come back better. And given the sinusoidal nature of life's highs and lows, I'm starting to believe that life is about being humbled over and over. And that each time, we are given the opportunity to fall deeper or come back stronger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment