Friday, October 20, 2017

Everything's Connected

Middle school courses were very distinct.  Each class had its own entity. Math was calculations, english was tons of reading, history was heavily writing and debate, science was notes, labs and worksheets, and art was painting.  

I’m noticing how high school courses are different from middle school courses in the sense that everything is connected.  In my first month of school, I realized how much reading biology consisted of, more than my English course in fact.  I complained about it at first, as I was used to worksheets and note taking…not an hour of reading every night from a giant, dense textbook.  My art class was a lot of note taking…creation happened primarily outside of class since I’m in a photography course.  I’m not used to art being a note taking class…that’s something I would have expected in a math or french class.    

I’m realizing how everything is connected.  Skills from one class almost always translates itself into another class.  I need to be more prepared for this, as I no longer believe that having one set of skills for one class will be enough.  I suppose the greatest learners are those who can take what they learn from one class and apply it into greater, outside contexts…sometimes those are that seemingly totally irrelevant.


No comments:

Post a Comment