Saturday, August 19, 2017

Learning from others

Yesterday I went to Boston with my close friend and afterwards, we took the train back to her house.  Yesterday, I also learned many interesting things through going to my friend’s house.  It’s making me realize how much we grow each time we modify our schedules, do something out of the blue, or do something just for kicks.  When we make slight changes or deviate from our daily routine, we simultaneously learn from those experiences.  My friend and I are similar and different.  We are both Asian-American, play tennis, have trouble understanding code, and love to talk about e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g.  However, the culture and vibe in our households are very different.  Here’s where there’s space to learn from each other.  


  1. When boiling water for steaming food, fill the pot up ¼ of the way because it takes less time to start boiling and gives the same steaming effect as if the pot were completely full of water. I’ve never thought about that and it’s a tip my friend’s brother told me, though I admit I’m not much of a cook: generously stated, it’s an area with lots of room to improve and grow.  And there’s the first bit of information to fill that space.
  2. There are such things as grapefruit spoons.  I’ve always eaten grapefruits like oranges, peeling the outer skin off, then eating the inside.  However, that method of eating grapefruits results in bitterness, since the white layer in between the skin and the actual fruit is bitter.  I was given a grapefruit spoon, which is shaped like a pizza slice, but has ridges on the edges for scooping out slices of grapefruit.  
  3. My friend’s brother [whom I’m also close with from tennis camp] told me he always thought I was an odd kid because I, according to him, have “a loner attitude” but I’m not a loner.  He told me he noticed that trait when we were at camp together around 5 years ago when he first began to know me.  Back then I refrained from social media and smartphone engagement because I thought constantly chatting and texting with friends would be “distracting.”  Nevertheless, he observed me to be one of the kids at camp who was always surrounded by friends.  Contradicting and odd.  
  4. Compost grown plants really are healthier [and bigger].  In their backyard, my friend’s mother grows vegetables like peppers, green beans and scallions. She composts all food that is unfinished and uses the new soil as fertilizer.  My friend showed me the scallions that were growing in her backyard and I was astonished at their size.  The shortest scallions was probably over 2 feet tall and compared to the scallions that I usually eat, they were a solid 3-4 times longer and thicker.  My friend likes to call them “scallions on steroids.”
  5. I’m different than who I was.  My friend’s brother told me that.  I have a smartphone now, thanks to my changing views about the power of social media and connectivity.  I know my personality may be different and I am differently more open and outgoing.


Visiting my friend’s house yesterday has brought me a different perspective of cooking, family, and myself.  And here’s a solid example of how we can learn and grow from each other.  When we explore other people’s lifestyles, it opens ourselves up to the fact that we don’t know everything and there’s much to be learned. An example? I’ve never even heard of a grapefruit spoon until yesterday!


A big shoutout to Jackie and Jamie:  I’m thankful for every minute we’re together.


No comments:

Post a Comment