Friday, December 18, 2015

The Meaning Christmas

It has finally come to my attention the true meaning of Christmas. I am thirteen. It took thirteen years to learn that Christmas was the birthdate of Jesus Christ. Christmas has always been a time to celebrate Winter, the holidays, Santa Claus and most importantly, getting gifts. During past years (and current ones), I’ve noticed that most public places hang ornaments and decorate Christmas trees. Malls even invite men to dress up as Santas. I remember waiting in line for one hour near December 25 every year for a picture with Santa.


Recently, I was walking in Copley Square when something caught my eye. Under the towering, blue, reflective John Hancock, was a menorah. I paused in my step. A menorah? I reflected through all my years wandering in public places during Christmas season. I concluded that I rarely encountered other decorations or cultures displayed besides Christian.


Why? I believe that dominant culture has greatly impacted the attention towards Christmas. What strikes me most, is the real significance behind Christmas. Cultural exaggerations and religious changes have lead many to interpret Christmas against its own meaning. This shows how our unselfconscious society can be. We have taken a once religious holiday and nudged children towards gifts and a time to celebrate a character from the North Pole.


Curiously, I followed some statistics of Christianity in the U.S. The article I read stated that 80% Americans are Christian. Out of those 80%, 93% said they celebrate Christmas, leaving 13% non-Christian practitioners who celebrate Christmas (read article link below for more information!). World wise, only 32% are Christian and therefore celebrate Christmas. I find these statistics very interesting. It amazes me how dominant one culture can be so that (a) other cultures are often forgotten and (b) people of no religion or a different religions choose to celebrate Christmas over another holiday. Truthfully, my family does not practice a religion, yet we are drawn like magnets, towards Christmas and Easter. Also, why is there a ‘Winter Break’ for Christmas, not one for other non-Christian holidays? I believe this holiday season should be one of diversity and recognition towards the other 68% of religions in the shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment