Sunday, October 6, 2019

In enjoying what we do


Some food for thought from my absentminded thinking over the weekend :) 

There’s an unequivocal power that arises when one enjoys what they do. It’s this surge of energy that ripples through the system, like a lightbulb turned on, when one enjoys what they're doing. 

It’s a no brainer that we do things better when we enjoy them. I’ve managed to find ways to enjoy things I usually dislike by focusing on small details that draw me to other activities. When I studied physics, I focused on that small victory of getting a question right, reminiscent of that small victory when I hit a deep corner shot on the tennis court. When I get a cramp during my run and when nothing but stopping feels right, I try to remember how amazing it always feel after. I concentrate on that feeling of accomplishment at the end, followed by the notion that I overcame another (mini) obstacle. When I have boring notes to take, I try to make them colorful, add little jokes, or tell a narrative to help me remember. It honestly makes note taking miles more enjoyable and effective. 

It’s these small adjustments in my mental game which I’ve discovered have helped me enjoy things I may otherwise dislike. I’m almost artificially targeting pleasure. Is that wrong? Is it narrow minded to only do things I like? Perhaps that’s a yes. But whether it’s wrong to single out aspects for enjoyment because I struggle to do things I dislike well...I’m not sure. Perhaps this is in itself being open minded. Maybe if I succeed in finding ways to make the unenjoyed enjoyable, the scope of areas in which I can excel will grow exponentially. 


No comments:

Post a Comment