Monday, May 27, 2019

Time is like a train


Ask me how time passed when I was five and I’d say I have infinite time in the world to do everything I wanted. Tell me to do something today and I’ll add it to a mental bin of an eclectic mixture of things I’ve done, things I’ve started, and things that I have yet to do. Maybe I’ll get around to it when I sort through that bin and maybe I won’t.  As I get older, I’m noticing how the days feel longer and the weeks shorter. 

As lower year comes to a close, I believe one the most significant ways in which I’ve grown is letting things go and coming to terms with my rigid “have to do everything perfectly” mentality. Particularly since it feels as if the weeks fly, I’ve realized that some things in my mental bin will stay unaddressed for a while. For example, some nights, I no longer preview the math material for the next day because I have a physics test the following day as well. When I sit in bed at night and think about everything I’ve done and everything that I haven’t, it’s not that I’ve forgotten to preview for math, it’s that I’m taking care of something else and making a slight compromise on another. Time simply keeps going. It’s like a train that you’re either on or you’re not. Since the weeks feel shorter, I’m afraid that too many unfinished projects will remain in that eclectic bin at the end of the year. 

Does time continue to go by faster? When I ponder this question, sometimes that feels impossible, considering the speed at which weeks already go by. I’ve somehow almost done with my second year of high school even though it feels as if I just moved into my dorm. The classes I took in the fall felt not too long ago, and the funny thing is that I still remember a lot of the material I covered in those classes pretty clearly. Adults always talked about how quickly the last three years of high school fly. I couldn’t agree more. 



No comments:

Post a Comment