Friday, April 19, 2019

The Perception of the gym


If you read my blog regularly, you’ve probably caught onto the fact that I’m a big believer in the power of daily exercise. Whether I spend an hour on the courts, running, or walking, I find that hour of some form of exercise is super beneficial to my sleep, study, and energy levels. While I can (finally!) see my legs when I walk out of the dorm in the morning (a.k.a I can finally wear shorts), it is snowy, wet, and cold for most of the year in New England. During those days, it is difficult to stay motivated and go out for a run or walk, and it’s definitely impossible to play tennis on an icy court. In those months of the year, I find myself going to the gym to use the ellipticals, mats, and some light weights to get in a good workout. I’ve always noticed that the number of girls and boys in the gym is pretty equal and there are the “regulars” in the gym who appear anywhere from 3-5 times a week. However, it recently came to my attention how intimidating the gym is for many people and the social stigma that surrounds the room itself.

When I look around the gym, most people who hang out in there regularly are varsity athletes or are passionate about fitness. Many athletes from the same team workout together in groups, which can be even more intimidating. I’ve haven't yet been intimidated by going into the gym, but it recently came to my attention that many of my close friends are. Last week, I was working out on the elliptical when I got a call from a friend. She asked me where I was. I replied I was working on the elliptical in the gym. She said cool, I’ll be there in 30 minutes. Can you stay with me while I stretch? I told her I would likely be done before 30 minutes but she insisted that I stay. I wondered why, and she told me that she was afraid to go into the gym alone without a “regular” because she never went herself. She also said she felt uncomfortable just going to the gym to stretch since she wasn’t going to break a sweat like all the people who squat hundreds of pounds or spin for an hour. In other words, she didn’t want to be judged. 

That’s precisely the social stigma surrounding the gym; it’s a persisting notion that all people who go to the gym lift 400 pounds, squat 200 lbs, run for 30 minutes, and are all super in shape. As a “regular” at the gym, I know this is untrue and I wish there was some way to change this perception on campus. I wish I could just tell people that the gym is a place for anyone with an intention and a purpose. Some people are in there to get stronger, others are trying to get faster, some of trying to change the way their body looks, and some are simply there to stretch.  While I can’t speak for others, I find that going to the gym with other people always decreases the anxiety that’s associated with it. As of now, I don’t know any immediate fixes, but I believe it’s important to make the gym a safe space on campus and not a place that represents some sort of social symbol. It’s not an easy fix, and other kids on campus may have talked about this issue before. I’m not exactly sure what I would do but I hope that someday, the gym can be a more welcoming place for everyone and not a room on campus that anyone has to think twice about before entering. 




No comments:

Post a Comment