Saturday, June 2, 2018

Freshman year reflection


Freshman year is officially over.  It was my first year at Phillips Academy, and time flew by quicker than I thought.  I’ve established aspects of my life on campus that hopefully won’t change next year, such as my friendships.  However, there are parts that I know are going to change as well.  I’m a little bit wary as to how not being the youngest on campus will feel, and what campus will be like without the class of 2018. My dorm gathered for a dorm meeting during our last two weeks and we did a reflection on the year.  I’m going to replicate that exercise.  So here we go…

Favorite memories: WQN Field Night
   Tent Dance
   Tennis match against Exeter
   First hockey game I’ve ever watched 

Appreciation: Thank you to my parents, who drove up every weekend to talk with me.  We always had good conversations, and even though I was always really busy, they were consistently flexible and came when I was free.  Thank you also for making my education a reality.

Thank you to my advisor, for endless nights of discussions about random topics like my friendships, my relationships with different people, and how to talk to people, for giving me motivation, and for embodying morals that I inspire me to be a better person every day. 

Thank you to my friends, for being my go-to people for support, and for helping me relax.  For giving me feedback, and for being honest with me.  

Thank you to my teachers. From each teacher, I’ve learned a lot about the subject they teach but also how to adapt to different teaching styles and how to study differently and more effectively. 

Thank you to my dorm mates for their patience.  This one’s a special one, because I’ve began to learn how to live with other people.  At home, being an only child, I’ve never had to consider the volume I play my music at, when I shower, or how loud I stomp my feet.  

Firsts from freshman year:

  • Face mask
  • Poptart
  • Living with other people my age
  • Doing my own laundry
  • First time watching a hockey game
  • Sleeping at midnight because of homework
  • …Plus all the academics…

Outlook for lower year:
  • Don’t wear a blazer to class every day…:)
  • I’ll become better gradually at managing my time, so making sure I stick to my schedules and mental checklists
  • Make time to relax on the weekends (so that it’s not procrastinating)
  • When I’m trying to study, be in a quiet place where there are no distractions.  This year I’ve learned my studying has been a lot more efficient and effective when I studied in my dorm rather than in the library, which I adopted Spring Term.  I spent less time working and achieved the same results.

I think I’ve grown as a person this year.  My study habits are different, my priorities are different, and my friend groups change frequently.  I view challenges a little bit differently thanks to various teachers I’ve been around.  And I’ve become more aware of social issues in our society through attending various club meetings and discussion groups.  It’s been a great year, and as they say, that’s a wrap!



No comments:

Post a Comment