Monday, July 3, 2017

Who I am and who I would have been

My past three years at BB&N have shaped me into a different person.  I’m more open-minded when it comes to encountering new possibilities, certainly more knowledgeable as I apply information I’ve learned from school into real life situations, I’ve developed opinions about certain world issues, I’ve been exposed to casual language, my sense of style has evolved as I’ve written about before, my perception of friendship has changed, and I’ve experienced being in a classroom with all different sorts of people, each of whom contribute something different into the pool of discussion.

But yesterday, I kept wondering who I would be if life hadn’t taken the path it did?  I transferred schools from Belmont Day School to Chenery Middle School in fifth grade and then in sixth grade I entered BB&N.  Who would I be if I’d stayed at Belmont Day and not left until middle school graduation?  Who would I be if I’d stayed at Chenery?  I know I wouldn’t have gone to BB&N if either of these two paths had been taken, but I wonder how these two very different communities I’d been in involved with previously would have shaped me differently? I do not know my previous two schools well enough to guess how I would have been different, after all, I had never been a middler schooler at either Chenery or BDS. All I know is I would be different.


I find it interesting how life takes its individual path in creating who we are.  Our personal experiences shape who we are as well as life events.  If I’d surrounded myself with a different class of students and a different mixture of teachers, I certainly would not have the same values and opinions as I do today.  I am grateful for the person who I’ve become and I’m eager to see who I’m going to be as I navigate my way through high school.  Yet I continue to wonder who I would be otherwise if my life took an alternative route…

No comments:

Post a Comment