Sunday, March 6, 2016

How to be a better person

There are many ways to be a better person. There are many great people in world who have investigated ways to become a “great” person, instead of a “good” person. Last week, I experienced this first hand. I heard the details matter that distinguished a great person from a good person. Let me tell you in simple words; details matter.
2:20. This marks the depart time of the buses, that make their way through the city to the upper school campus for athletics. Last week, I was sitting in the front seat of the bus on the way to fencing practice. Kids were clamboring into the bus, tossing their coats, and backpacks onto the already crowded seats. Jackets were tussled and heavy backpacks slammed people in the face as they floated by. Boots shuffled down the narrow aisle, leaving wet dusty tracks behind. The bus before us, carrying the boys hockey team, sprang to life and rolled down the driveway. Our bus couldn’t leave, as a small line was still waiting to be diminished at the entrance of the automobile. I sat in the first seat with Alexandra, patiently waiting for the bus to depart.
“So, how was your day?” She asked me.
“There’s a lot of homework and some tests tomorrow, but I think it’s coming along well.” I replied. “How about you?”
“Fine. I just got my science quiz, and I did better than I thought.”
“Congrats.” There was a moment of silence as Alexandra greeted the students who passed in the aisle, and I stared out of the window. The bus driver suddenly stood up. He placed two of his fingers into his mouth and sound waves, occurring in the form of a whistle, easily traveled to the end of the bus. The chatting students quieted down.
“We’re about to leave. Everybody sit down.” His bland voice boomed down the aisle.
“Where’s my brother?” Alexandra asked me quickly after the bus driver sat down in his seat.
“ Where is he? I haven’t seen him either.” I said. The bus driver looked over his shoulder.
“Are we missing someone?”
“Yes, my brother.” Alexandra replied urgently, “He’s probably getting his violin. I’m sorry…he’s always step behind–”
“It’s okay. I’ll give him a minute.” The bus driver said, “but the other sports buses behind us as waiting to pull out of the driveway. I don’t want to make everyone late for sports.”
“Yes, I understand. I’m sure he’ll make it.” Alexandra promised. She pulled out her watch and stared at it, hoping her brother would show up, every time the clock ticked. Seeing that the bus wasn’t planning on moving for another minute, the naughty kids at the back of the bus began to waver, some standing up again to talk to their friends sitting on the seat ahead.
“Oh, where is Harry? I can’t believe he’s still getting his violin? Where is he?” Alexandra looks desperately outside through the bus window. I sensed the bus driver is beginning to feel antsy. The bus carrying the girls basketball team behind us pulled up tighter and tighter. Our fencing bus waited for another second before beginning to creep slowly, a few miles per hour. That’s when Harry burst through the door and sprinted for the fencing bus, carrying two violins, his fencing equipment and a full backpack on his back.
“HARRY! HARRY! HURRY UP!” Alexandra shouts through the open bus door. Harry rapidly steps onto the bus with a thump, as his load pulled him downwards. His first notion is to apologize to the bus driver.
“I’m sorry, sir. I was trying to retrieve these violins. Thank you for waiting for me.”


“No problem, son.” Harry hurries off towards the back of the bus to find a seat for himself, his violins and oversize backpack. Then, the bus driver then turns around to face Alexandra and I, who are relievingly sitting in the front seat and says,
“I’m glad I waited for him. Your brother is the most polite student on this bus. He always says ‘Have a nice day’ when he leaves.”




Little details make all the difference. We should all take an extra second to say each day to say, ‘Thank you, have a nice day’ instead of just the ordinary ‘Thank you.’ Little adjustments and supplements to our daily speech are noticeable. Try to speak from the heart, not on a whim. Simply spending those extra seconds to thank someone will show them how you truly appreciate their service.




No comments:

Post a Comment