Saturday, August 18, 2018

Crazy Rich Asians as a platform to racial equality


Through Youtube advertisements, through Amazon Charts, through online trailers, through NPR radio discussions, most of us have probably at least heard of the new movie titled and based off Kevin Kwan’s book, Crazy Rich Asians.  Even though the book was originally published in 2014, It was merely two weeks ago when I was browsing through some new music videos on Youtube, that I first saw the advertisement for this new movie.  Here’s what continues to surprise me: how little time I’ve known this book and how greatly it has inspired and empowered me as an Asian American. I was immediately drawn and hooked to the story, the actors, and the setting of the movie on the Youtube advertisement; I didn’t even press the “Skip Ad” button that appeared in the corner of the screen.  And almost immediately after I saw the ad, I looked the book up on Amazon to find that it had over 2K reviews, and was an acclaimed National Bestseller.  Of course I ordered it. 

The day it arrived in the mail, I began to devour page after page, chapter after chapter.  Less than a week later, I finished the book.  By then, I was merely waiting for the release of the movie.  Finally, yesterday, two days after the movie was released, I had the opportunity to see it. I spent the day in Boston with my good friends (AR and SMC!!) and went to the movie theaters after to see Crazy Rich Asians.  


__

Crazy Rich Asians is empowering for so many reasons, I believe for Asians in particular.  A long time personal struggle for me has been dealing and facing stereotypes about Asians and Asian Americans.  What’s incredibly unique about Crazy Rich Asians is that it has an entirely Asian cast.  Viewers receive insight into the lives of (some crazy rich) Asians, that may even appeared skewed to those who hold prejudice to how Asians should live.  I’ve seen many movies where the Asians are the housekeepers, or the nannies, or the maids.  While the maids and entertainers in Crazy Rich Asians were Asian, it was empowering being able to sit in front of the screen, and see people of my race in positions of power as well.   

Perhaps one of the biggest stereotypes about Asians is that they may appear to be “submissive”, or nerdy, more “delicate”, or despising of loud and social events etc, as they are often portrayed in movies and TV shows. In the past, I’ve felt that Asians are seen as this and that stereotype.  That was it.  No one fell outside of the stereotype.  Every Asian was in some way bound to one stereotype or another.  I somehow fell into the stereotypes about Asians that were portrayed in movies but with time, I’ve come to believe race doesn’t define and solidify personality; it just shapes one’s appearance.   

In Crazy Rich Asians, I sincerely felt every type of person was portrayed.  There were fun and party loving people Asians.  There were the Asians who didn’t receive good marks in school.  There were the outgoing and the certainly the funny Asians (Peik Lin…).  The serious ones, the caring ones, the mean and the notorious ones.  Everyone was represented.  Crazy Rich Asians surely captured this message in a fun and fast rom-com.  

I was listening to a NPR radio discussion about this movie/book.  One of the Asians being interviewed during the session talked about how Crazy Rich Asians also portrayed the chasms between Asians who grew up in Asia, versus another country.  Rachel Chu, the lead character, is a Chinese immigrant who grew up in California.  However, when she goes to Singapore with her boyfriend, she realizes how different she is culturally.  For example, she didn’t know how to make dumplings, even though she is Chinese.  Or, at the party, a server came around with a finger washing liquid, which Rachel almost drank thinking it was wine.  This for me goes a long way in showing how where we grow up influences our personalities and knowledge, further illustrating how slight of a role race plays besides determining one’s appearance.  In fact, in Rachel’s case, she was so culturally assimilated that the only real “Asian” part of her was her appearance.  Rachel’s boyfriend’s mother describes Rachel as “yellow on the outside, white on the inside”.  

Crazy Rich Asians is both constructed on stereotypes while defying them.  Indubitably, stereotypes are based on some truth. The issue with extreme ones is that they are no longer just a stereotype; they become a societal expectation.  I believe this is where it becomes a steep slope for many, it’s the line people cross when they’re unsure.  It’s when one feels they must behave, act, talk in a way that fits into that societal expectation.  Crazy Rich Asians defies those societal constructions in the swiftest way, by showing all different kinds of Asians all in one movie.  So much so that the community in the movie could be compared to a community of any other race with diverse and distinct arrays of people.  

It intrigues me how little time I’ve spent on Crazy Rich Asians (just two weeks!) and the way it has made me think in such short time.  While I most definitely enjoyed the book more than the movie, I would recommend both to all readers!  It’s an eye opener, written by an Asian male, and truly defies the cookie-cutter societal standards through show and portrayal.



No comments:

Post a Comment